Tuesday, 19 May 2009

The Big Issue

I was in Bath the on Saturday (the place lol)  and I sat down in an outside restaurant. About 5m away from me there was a homeless person selling the Bis Issue. I don't know whether it was just the people in Bath or whether everybody is like that, but I was there for half an hour and it was a very busy street, and not one person stopped to buy one. £1.60! And this guy was really nice, always asking politely and saying "Have a nice day" when people either said no or ignored him. What kind of a state is society in that not one person stopped to buy one? It's not even as if it's like giving to charity. You actually get something for your money.

I could see after a while that he was starting to give up hope. It was like the story of the good Samaritan, except nobody helped out! People just walked passed him. I'm sure most of them would have been a bit guilty for a few seconds as they walked away, but that would soon go as they comfort themselves that they didn't have enough money or that they had already given enough to charity. They didn't have to think about it because it wasn't their problem. Soon the whole thing would be over and they could continue with their normal lives. Anyway, if they didn't give to charity, somebody else was bound to.

But there's no way everybody can be happy in society if nobody actually bothers to help other people. Of course, there are plenty of people who do actually give to charity and help other people. But I sure didn't see them in Bath!

I hope you have a wonderful day!
Sam

1 comment:

  1. There was a guy in Swansea selling the Big Issue, and he got so desperate that he said: "If you buy one, I'll let you kick me anywhere you like!" That was classic! xD

    I always buy a Big Issue (unless the person is rude). Once, I paid for one with an old Indian lady. I only had a £2 coin and she couldn't speak English, so I let her keep the change :)

    Stripes xy

    ReplyDelete